Recover study or training costs where an employee has resigned

Key points

  • To be able to recover training costs from an employee who resigns, the employer must have the employee's express written agreement. This should have been obtained in a training fees agreement entered into before the training started.
  • If the employer has reserved the right in a training fees agreement to deduct any outstanding training fees from the employee's pay, it should explain this to the employee before making the deduction.
  • If the employee leaves and their final pay does not cover all of the outstanding cost of the training, the employer may wish to recover the balance as a debt under the terms of the training fees agreement.

XpertHR resources