Flexible working: Respond to a statutory request to work flexibly
When to use this flexible working flowchart
Use this flexible working flowchart to ensure that, on receiving a flexible working request, you comply with the requirements set out in the law on the right to request flexible working.
Employees who have a minimum of 26 weeks' continuous service have a statutory right to request flexible working. Employers must deal with requests to work flexibly in a "reasonable manner".
- Invite the employee to a meeting to discuss the request
- If the request is refused, notify the employee of the refusal and the right of appeal
- Invite the employee to an appeal meeting
- Notify the employee that the appeal is upheld/rejected
Key "What if...?" events
- What if? ... an employee seeks to amend their flexible working request
- What if? ... an employee raises a complaint about the right to request flexible working process
- What if? ... an employee withdraws their flexible working request