Grievances: Deal with a formal grievance
When to use this grievances flowchart
Use this grievances flowchart to deal with a formal grievance in line with the "Acas code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures"; inviting the employee to a meeting to discuss their grievance and offering the right of appeal against your decision.
While any failure to follow the code is not actionable in itself, an employment tribunal hearing a relevant case will take the code into account, and may increase any compensation awarded by up to 25% where the employer has unreasonably failed to comply with it.
- Investigate the grievance
- Invite the employee to a grievance meeting
- Inform the employee of the outcome of the grievance and right of appeal
Key "What if?..." events
- What if? … the employee fails to attend a meeting under the grievance procedure
- What if? ... the employee raises a grievance during the disciplinary process