FAQs: The national living wage
New FAQs answer employers' questions on the national living wage - the new rate of the national minimum wage for workers aged 25 and over.
- If 1 April 2016 falls part way through a payroll period, from which date does the employer have to start paying the national living wage?
- When a worker turns age 25, is he or she entitled to be paid the national living wage rate from the date of his or her birthday?
- Will the rate for the national living wage increase each year at the same time as the other bands of the national minimum wage?
- Is an employer at risk of an age discrimination claim if it has different pay rates for employees of different ages, in line with the national minimum wage bands?
- What are the consequences if an employer pays workers less than the national minimum wage?
- Are apprentices who are aged 25 or over entitled to the national living wage?
- Which elements of pay count for the purposes of calculating whether or not the national minimum wage has been paid?