Introduce an overtime system
- Organisations may, from time to time, wish to ask employees to work overtime. Whether or not employees are obliged to agree depends on their contract of employment.
- An employer that is introducing an overtime system should consider issues such as the process for requesting and authorising overtime and arrangements for overtime pay.
- The employer should also consider whether or not the overtime system should form part of employees' contracts.
- Employers need to take into account their duties under the Working Time Regulations 1998 when introducing overtime working.
- Employers should bear in mind recent case law on the treatment of overtime in calculating holiday pay.