Hong Kong: Equal opportunities
See the legal services provided by the authors/consultant editors of XpertHR International > Hong Kong, including any discounts/offers for subscribers.
Note: Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. It has a high degree of autonomy and its own legal system, including in the area of employment law.
- Discrimination in employment prohibited on various grounds. (See General)
- Difference in treatment on the prohibited grounds is permitted in certain circumstances. (See Exceptions)
- Harassment in employment is unlawful on certain grounds. (See Harassment)
- Employees are protected against victimisation. (See Victimisation)
- The law allows positive action in certain circumstances. (See Positive action)
- Employees who believe that they have suffered discrimination can initiate legal proceedings in the district court or lodge a complaint with the statutory Equal Opportunities Commission. (See Remedies and penalties)