Must a person be authorised to represent a claimant at tribunal for reward?

The Compensation Act 2006 regulates claims-management services - advice or other services, such as representation, in relation to claims for "compensation, restitution, repayment or any other remedy or relief in respect of loss or damage or in respect of an obligation". "Claims" includes employment-related claims such as unfair dismissal, claims for wages and discrimination. A person who provides "regulated claims management services" must be authorised to do so, except where the person is exempt or has the benefit of a waiver. Those granted exemptions from the requirement to seek authorisation include solicitors, barristers, independent trade unions providing services to their members, charities and advice agencies.