Author: Claire Birkinshaw
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Start by making all reasonable efforts to contact the employee to ascertain his or her position.
- Ensure that you keep a record of all attempts to contact the employee.
- Be aware that an assumed resignation by virtue of the employee's conduct in failing to report for work is likely to be held by an employment tribunal to comprise an express dismissal.
- Unauthorised absence without good cause is a disciplinary offence, so deal with it accordingly.
- Where you are aware in advance that unauthorised absence is likely to result from a request for annual leave that has been turned down, write to the employee to warn him or her of the possible consequences if he or she goes on holiday regardless.