Podcast: When is an employer liable for the acts of its employees and others?
In this week's podcast, we examine several legal cases as we explore the situations where an employer may be found to be vicariously liable for an individual's negligent or discriminatory actions.
In particular, we cover:
- the legal test used by the courts to establish vicarious liability;
- the extension of vicarious liablity to individuals who are not employees;
- whether or not an employer is liable for unforeseen wrongful acts;
- vicarious liability under the discrimination legislation and the "reasonable steps" defence; and
- the practical steps that employers can take to protect themselves.
In addition to listening to the audio, you can download the podcast transcript.
Presenter Laura Merrylees is joined by Fiona Cuming. Edited and produced by Clare Scullin.
When is an employer liable for the acts of its employees and others?
7 April 2017