How to arrange the election of employee representatives for informing and consulting on a TUPE transfer
Author: Darren Newman
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Decide on the number of representatives to be elected and whether there will be a single pool of representatives or whether specific groups of employees will have their own representatives.
- Decide for how long representatives will be asked to serve.
- Decide on and announce a process for receiving nominations for election.
- Arrange for candidates to communicate an election message to the employees entitled to vote for them.
- Print enough ballot papers for all of the employees entitled to vote.
- Arrange for ballot boxes to be placed in suitable locations where they can be adequately supervised.
- Allow employees to vote for as many candidates as there are representatives allocated to employees of that kind or at that location.
- Allow employees to vote at a convenient time that realistically gives all employees the opportunity to vote.
- Allow employees who will be absent for the ballot to submit their votes by an alternative method.
- Count the votes cast for each candidate.
- Announce and publicise the results.
- Arrange a fresh election if employees are left unrepresented because a representative has dropped out.