How to deal with the death of an employee
Author: Louis Wustemann
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Make sure that all employee records with details of next of kin and dependants are regularly updated.
- Draw up a policy specifying who has responsibility for dealing with administration and liaison with relatives.
- Inform the enforcing authority of any work-related death.
- Record details of any work-related death.
- Process any life assurance benefits and dependants' pensions quickly.
- Include the employee's date of death in the full payment submission for HM Revenue and Customs.
- Provide adequate support for employees tasked with informing next of kin of a death at work or visiting bereaved relatives.
- Ensure that employees and clients have the opportunity to pay their respects.
- Make interim cover arrangements for work continuity but wait at least one month before arranging a permanent replacement for a deceased employee.