Webinar: Managing sickness absence successfully
Huw Cooke, senior associate at Burges Salmon, guides you through the nuts and bolts of effective sickness absence management before discussing some of the tricky challenges that can arise.
This webinar will help you to:
- understand the process of managing short- and long-term sickness absence;
- tackle common hurdles, including uncooperative employees;
- get the most out of instructing occupational health advisors; and
- handle COVID-related sick pay issues confidently, including whether it is permissible to withhold company sick pay for individuals who are unvaccinated.
We also guide you through some difficult but common scenarios, including sickness absence that commences after a performance process has started, and managing an absent employee whose lifestyle outside work appears inconsistent with their sickness.
Watch the video
- Short-term sickness absence policy
- How to manage an employee who goes off sick during a performance improvement procedure
- Leading practice guides: Managing long-term sickness absence
- Letter urging staff not to attend work if they have COVID-19 symptoms or test positive
- Watch previous webinars on demand
Case law referenced in Huw's slides
Contact with individual on absence
- Private Medicine Intermediaries v Hodkinson (EAT/0134/15/)
- Bray v London Borough of Camden (EAT/1162/01)
- Jennings v Barts and the London NHS Trust (EAT/0056/12/)
- Griffiths v Sec of State for Work and Pensions (IRLR 216 CA)