How to manage career breaks
Author: Kath Sadler-Smith, Osborne Clarke
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Recognise the potential benefits of offering career breaks to employees.
- Draw up your policy on career breaks.
- Determine eligibility requirements for employees to qualify for the right to take a career break.
- Consider the length of the career break that you are prepared to offer.
- Decide if employees who wish to take a career break should be required to resign.
- Be aware that an employee's continuity of service may be maintained during a career break.
- Be aware that, if an employee's service continues during a career break, they will also continue to accrue statutory annual leave.
- Specify whether an employee taking a career break will be required to carry out work for you during the break and whether they may work for other employers.
- Set out the arrangements for return to work when a career breaks ends.