How to arrange cover for an employee's adoption leave
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware that there may be only a short period between the employee giving notice of adoption leave and the leave period starting.
- Start planning how to arrange cover as soon as you know that the employee intends to take adoption leave.
- Establish if cover can be sourced internally through redistributing the work among existing team members, or suspending the work until the end of the adoption leave period.
- If the work cannot be redistributed, consider if there is a suitable employee who can "act up" into the role or a suitable employee who can be seconded from a different part of the organisation.
- If there is, document the "acting up" or secondment arrangement, including flexibility as to the end date.
- If hiring external staff to cover, decide whether to recruit directly or via an agency.
- If hiring a fixed-term employee, comply with the Fixed-term Employees (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2002, and build in flexibility as to the end date of the contract.
- Consider the degree of training required to enable the covering employee to undertake the role.
- Plan an appropriate handover at both ends of the adoption leave.
- Anticipate possible changes to working arrangements at the end of the employee's adoption leave.
- Be aware of the employee's right to return to his or her old job after adoption leave.