How to carry out a right to work in the UK check
Author: Susie Munro
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Understand why a valid right to work check is important.
- Carry out the check before the candidate begins work.
- Provide all candidates with the same information about the need for a check.
- Decide what type of right to work check to carry out.
- If carrying out a manual right to work check, obtain, check and copy acceptable documents.
- If using an IDSP, check the photograph and details on the report and retain a copy.
- If carrying out an online right to work check, check the profile page and retain a copy.
- If using the Employer Checking Service, provide the required information and keep a copy of the Positive Verification Notice.
- Diarise follow-up checks.
- Ensure compliance with limitations on the right to work.
- Be prepared to demonstrate compliance.